Thursday, July 22, 2010

The Trip Has Begun


Our trip actually started with a ride on BART to the Oakland A's/Red Sox game on Monday night. I finally got to see Daisuke Matsuzaka have a good game rather than fall apart and lose as has happened the last 4 times I've seen him pitch. Rowdy was progressively confused through the day as we packed and loaded the van for the trip. He was staying as close to Melanie as possible, laying on the top of the couch behind her head for example, to keep himself from being forgotten. Little did he know that we were going to the game first, so he was extremely happy when we returned for him before leaving for LA.

Left at 12am and my allergies forced my contacts to be removed by 2am and I quickly realized that I cannot drive safely with my glasses on. I hadn't tried it yet, but after going down the freeway at 70mph at night, I thought it may be safer to have peripheral vision you can count on.

I pulled over to get some sleep as Melanie was already asleep, but she woke up and wanted to drive. She proceeded to drive the last 250 miles herself to my great gratitude while I dozed with a Rowdy blanket.

Since arriving, I've already gotten to play 54 holes of disc golf at 3 different courses. We grilled at Mom Lewis' beautiful new house and I made dinner on the grill while the ladies gardened and Rowdy got to play with a 6mo. scotty named Wee Bobby (video). I was able to hang out with the Peterson family and see two great friends from my time in SoCal Mike and Chase. Simply driving around the area where I lived for 3 years is so great and brings back so many fond memories. I even popped into Mesa, the restaurant where I worked as wine director and bar manager before I moved to SF, for the first time since I left. A single bartender that I hired was the only remnant of my time there as everything from furniture to menu to beer and wine selection has gone steeply downhill in the past two years.

Today brings Disneyland with Melanie, Mom Lewis, and Mel's sister Lauren. Me and three lovely ladies at the happiest place on earth sounds like a great way to spend an afternoon.


1 comment: